Airports Authority of India

Mission :  ''To achieve highest standards of safety and quality in air traffic services and airport management by providing state-of-the-art infrastructure for total customer satisfaction, contributing to economic growth and prosperity of the nation.''                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                 Vision :  ''To be a world-class organization providing leadership in air traffic services and airport management & making India a major hub in Asia Pacific region by 2016''.

Source: Bureau of Immigration, Government of India.
Contact No: 011-26711384

The powers of Visa conversions and visa extensions to foreigners present in India, vests with the Ministry of Home Affairs. For this purpose the foreigners can approach the Foreigners Division, MHA, Lok Nayak Bhawan, Khan Market, New Delhi between 10 AM to 12 AM on all working days (Monday to Friday). The change of visa status from one category to another category is normally not allowed. It can be considered by MHA only in extraordinary circumstances. For this purpose, the foreigner should normally come in person to the office. In exceptional cases and where allowed, a duly authenticated representative may be sent. Foreigners not residing in Delhi may approach the FRRO/CHIO/FRO concerned who would forward their case in MHA for approval. Applications for extensions/conversions should be made well in advance.

For the convenience of the foreigners, however, the FRROs/CHIO/FROs are empowered to make extensions / conversions for certain types of Visas without referring the same to MHA. The details of such powers vested with FRROs etc. are:

  • In case of foreigners of Indian origin/foreigner married to Indian citizen/foreigner staying in India for more than 20 years, extension can be given on entry Visa by FRROs for a period of 5 years.

  • FRRO can extend the VISA for three months in case of Employment & Business VISAs and forward the case for further extension upto 1 year, to MHA. After obtaining approval from MHA, FRRO can extend that VISA for further four years on year-to-year basis.

  • FRRO can convert visa and grant extension of stay to foreign students studying upto 12th standard, whose parents are of Indian origin or whose parents are Indian nationals on year-to-year basis.  Same facility is also available for children of foreigners residing in India on long-term basis (studying up to 12th Standard) on valid visas such as Employment, Business, Research, Entry Student etc.

  • FRRO can grant 15 days extension of stay on all types of visas on production of confirmed ticket for departure.

  • For student VISA holders: - FRRO can extend the Student Visa for duration of the course or for a maximum period of 5 years, whichever is less, to bonafide students coming to India to join well-known institutions subject to fulfillment of conditions prescribed.  The visa fee for a student for the duration of the course or for a maximum period of 5 years, whichever is less, is US$ 75, but it remains a one time fee for duration of the course and all extensions within this duration are given free of cost.  An additional fee of US$ 75 has to be charged for change in course/subsequent course.  FRRO may allow change in Institution/course (on payment of fee) provided the new institution and course are also fully recognized/approved and are full-time proper courses.  In case of PG Courses, fee has to be charged (except ICCR Scholars & students of gratis countries) for extension of visa on the basis of bonafide certificates.  

  • For Research VISA holders: FRRO can extend the VISA on the accreditation of the Ministry of Human Resource Development till the completion of Research work.  

  • In case of Bangladeshi Nationals: FRRO can extend the short term single journey Visa in case of non-tourists upto a maximum of 3 months on medical grounds.  

  • For journalist VISA holder: FRRO can extend the VISA on the accreditation of Min. of external Affairs

  • FRRO can condone overstay only upto 3 months, after charging overstay fees of US $ 40 equivalent. Cases of overstay exceeding 3 months are decided by MHA.  

  • FRRO can convert the category of the visa from Tourism to Entry visa in case of foreigners of Indian origin and grant extension upto 5 years with multiple entry facility.  For other foreign nationals, only MHA is empowered to convert the category of the visa.

| Top |
Rs. 1860/- (US$ 40)

All kinds of visa other than transit and student visas valid upto to 6 months (multiple entry) 

Rs. 3025/- (US$ 65)

All kinds of visa other than transit and student visas valid for over 6 months and upto 1 year (multiple entry) 

Rs. 6050/- (US$ 130)

All kinds of visa other than transit and student visas valid for over 1 year and upto 5 years (multiple entry) 

Rs. 470/- (US$10)

Transit visa (valid for 15 days-single/double entry)

Rs. 3490/- (US$ 75)

Student visa (valid for the duration of the course or for a period of five years, whichever is less-multiple entry) 

Rs. 1395/- (US$ 30)

Overstay or Late Registration Charges 

Rs. 1860/- (US$ 40)

Service Charges in case of Russians (No Visa fees)

Rs. 135/-
VISA fee for single entry for Sri Lankans
Rs. 270/-
VISA fee for double entry for Sri Lankans
Rs. 405/-
VISA fee for multiple entry for Sri Lankans 
Rs. 390/-
VISA fee for Japanese
Rs. 300/-

Service Charges for Romanian nationals (No Visa fees)

| Top |
The newly introduced visa fee charges for Hungarian nationals are:
38 US $
Transit-Single Entry
65 US $
Transit-Double Entry
150 US $
Transit-Multiple Entry
40 US $
Visa valid upto 6 months (Single Entry)
75 US $ 
Visa valid upto 6 months (Double entry)
180 US $
Visa valid upto 6 months (Multiple entry)
65 US $
Visa valid upto 1 year (Single entry)
180 Us $
Visa valid upto 1 year (Multiple entry)
180 US $ 
Visa valid more than a year
Rs. 700/- 
Express service (Same day service)
  • Extension Form
  • One photograph
Following additional documents are also required in case of:


Employment Visa:
Request letter from the company
Copy of contract with the company
Company registration with whom he/she is working
Undertaking on the following lines:


We take full responsibility for the activities and conduct of Mr./Mrs.___________________ national of________________ during his/her stay in India.  If anything adverse comes to notice during this period, we undertake to repatriate him/her on our cost.

Date:                                    Seal:                                           

Signature of competent authority

2. Business Visa:
Business related documents including request on letterhead of the company etc with whom he/she is doing business.
3. Journalist Visa: Approval letter from MEA.
4. X Visa:
Proof of Indian origin
Request from company that his/her VISA may be extended co-terminus to his/her spouse (the spouse being on Employment Visa)
5. Student Visa:
Bonafide certificate from school/college by the authorized signatory of the institute mentioning the course being undertaken

PIO card scheme, 1999 has been revised. The new PIO Card Scheme, 2002, is in operation since 15th September, 2002. According to the revised scheme, the PIO Card is valid for 15 years and a fee of Rupees 15,000/- charged for issue of the same. In the case of minor, i.e. below 18 years of age, the fee is Rupees 7,500/- for 15 years validity card.

Authority to which application is to be made: -

(i)  An application for issue of a PIO Card shall be made to an Indian Mission in the country where the applicant is ordinarily resident.

(ii)  Applicants already in India on Long Term Visa (more than one year) shall make the application for issue of a PIO Card to the following authorities: -

(A)   Those residing in: -

(a) Delhi - Foreigners Regional Registration Officer,
Level-II, East Block-VIII, Sector-I, R.K. Puram,
New Delhi-110066 
(b) Mumbai - Foreigners Regional Registration Officer,
3rd Floor, Special Branch Building,
Badruddin Tayabji Lane,
Behind St. Xaviers College,
(c) Kolkata - Foreigners Regional Registration Officer,
237, Acharya Jagdish Chandra Bose Road,
(d) Amritsar - Foreigners Regional Registration Officer,
123-D, Ranjeet Avenue,
(e) Chennai - Chief Immigration Officer, Bureau of Immigration,
Shastri Bhavan, 26, Haddows Road,
| Top |
(B) Those residing in areas other than (A) above: -

Joint Secretary (Foreigners), Ministry of Home Affairs, Ist floor, Lok Nayak Bhavan, Khan Market, New Delhi - 110003.

Possession of a PIO card, entitles a foreigner to enter or leave India without the requirements of any other VISA. Registration, however, is required with the concerned FRRO/CHIO/FRO office for a PIO card holder also if he stays in India for more than six months continuously like foreigners on any other types of long-term Visa.

Nationals of Pakistan, Bangladesh, Sri Lanka, Afghanistan, Bhutan, Nepal and China are ineligible for grant of PIO card. Iranian nationals of Indian Origin can be granted PIO card after MHA approval.

  • A PIO Card holder does not require a separate visa to visit India. The PIO Card holders will not require "Student Visa" for undertaking studies in India and similarly no "Employment Visa" will be required for taking up employment in India. However, they will be required to fulfill other pre-requisite conditions and other formalities in connection with their studies/employment as prescribed by concerned authorities from time to time.

  • Separate counters for immigration are provided to PIO Card holders at International airports in India.

  • Parity with Non-Resident Indians (NRIs) in respect of facilities available to the latter in economic, financial and educational fields.

  • All facilities in the matter of acquisition, holding, transfer and disposal of immovable properties in India except in matters relating to the acquisition of agricultural/plantation properties.

  • Facilities like those available to children of NRIs for getting admission to educational institutions in India including Medical Colleges, Engineering Colleges, Institutes of Technology, Institutes of Management etc. under the general categories.

  • Facilities available under the various housing schemes of LIC, State Governments and other Government agencies.